Going out with a bang: Concord and L-A Criteriums

After a season of ups and downs, my time going around in circles is coming to a close as I prepare to enter grad school in the coming weeks.

Last weekend, I capped my season early by racing my 'hometown' Concord Criterium, as well as the nearby Lewiston-Auburn Rotary Criterium. This is another tale of poor to mediocre preparation culminating in surprising results, so lets settle in.

A couple of weeks after Shoe City, I was given some pre-requisite classwork to complete prior to entering my graduate program, a two-year MBA at Clarkson University. The catch: I had until August 3rd to complete five classes worth of assignments, for which most of the syllabi said should take two weeks to complete if I put 3 hours a day into each class. By the time I received this work, I had 15 days to complete all of it. Needless to say, the saddle time took a back seat.

In the four weeks between Shoe City and Concord, I managed to squeeze in nine rides, not typically enough to sustain top performance. Adding to that minimal sleep thanks to trying to crank out school work, I was just killing it at this 'long term race prep' thing.

Rolling in to Concord, I had dropped out of the NHMS training race that Thursday because I felt like I was falling asleep during the race, so wasn't too sure about what was going to happen after a wet morning of volunteering pre-race.

My afternoon 3/4 field wasn't terribly stacked, a few strong riders but things played out mostly as expected. We got off to a good start, Staying together for the first handful of laps until Owen Wright took a flyer off the front and stayed away for a good chunk of the race. A few half-attempts to bring him back were quickly stopped by his teammates, until suddenly he was off the course looking for a helmet.


As it turns out, our breakaway guy had some helmet strap malfunctions and was DQ'd for not having a proper helmet (or something along those lines). Amateur/Pro-tip: If that ever happens to you in a race, yell to someone you know to find you a new helmet, go to the pit, get your new lid and a free lap before the officials yell at you.

Onwards with the rest of the race.

I managed to collect a couple of primes (two of the nearly twenty prizes up for grabs for our field!?), but started to feel it around the midpoint of the race, and started drifting towards the middle of the pack. Kramer saw that I was having a hard time focusing, and kept yelling to me when I drifted too far back or was making stupid moves.

I got the message, and got myself into the top-5 with a few laps to go, and then the rain hit.

Still a little wary of riding in a bunch post-crash, I eased back a little bit so that I could keep things upright for racing the following day. It seemed the rest of the field aside for Tate Kokubo had the same idea, so with roughly two laps to go, he went. And nobody chased.

Tate stayed away for the solo win, and I rolled across in 13th, wet and still looking for points.

The next morning in Lewiston, everything I owned was still wet: shoes, helmet, saddle, gloves. Luckily I had thrown the skinsuit in the wash/dry when I finally got home from Concord. The course was short, only 1k with a punchy climb right before the finish line.

It was a decent sized field for a 4/5 race in northern central Maine, a little over 30 racers, with a handful of power hitters like Donnie Seib, Tate, Mark Carpenter, and Adam York (basically the usual cast of characters from the front of any Cat 4 crit field this year).

We started the race pretty smoothly, trying to gauge the field a little bit, but quickly ramped up the speed to try and crack riders off the back. It worked, sorta.

With this race being run as a more low-key, local crit, the officials weren't too eager to pull dropped or lapped riders. Once we had created our selection, we still had to fight our way through traffic for a majority of the race.

Speaking of the selection: we ended up with a pack of ten riders, and we hammered this race. Mark and I went after every prime, and took home a few gift cards each. But other than when we were trying to kill each other for Dunkins, this may have been the smoothest Cat 4 (3.5) 'breakaway' I've been in. It's almost as if we all should've been in a higher category...

The laps quickly ticked down, and aside from the occasional car driving on course or guy-on-motorized-mountain-bike-riding-backwards-through-an-apex, things were pretty uneventful. We wound up for the sprint going up the final hill, but Mark and Cole Williams got a good, early jump that I couldn't cover in time, and rolled in among the lapped riders for third, just off of Cole's wheel.

With that result, I finally managed to get my Cat 3 upgrade, just in time to call it a season. After that race, I went home and started packing my things for grad school.

All photos from Concord by Connor Koehler, L-A courtesy.

Comments

Popular Posts