Early season, and the skiing's (not so) easy.

Well, it's been a month now on snow, and things are starting to fall back into place. There have been a few races thus far (Openers, Sleepy Hollow TT, EC Sprint), and a lot of training.

The Craftsbury openers went about as well as planned for minimal snow time (it was my first day out all season), and I felt it was a good start. On a short loop, the 7.5 km race was a little monotonous, but I counted correctly this time! (see post) I ended up coming in 15th overall, right towards the end of a pack of high caliber collegiate skiers.

That was December 1st. Fast forward a few weeks, on snow training has begun and we have just started our first training camp of the year at Sleepy Hollow. As a fundraiser, the team put together an open time trial, where entry was by donation, and those who wanted to brave the -0 temperatures were welcome to join the Saint Michael's College Ski Team for an early season 5k. It was a good race, with Coach Molly Peters' brother Eli Enman (Team Rossignol/CVU) winning in 16:39. I was not too far behind, coming in second in a time of 17:11, the first SMCPK over the line in the mass start.

That was the beginning of camp, which you can read more about here.

Finally, this weekend was the first NENSA Eastern Cup of the year, a Freestyle Sprint on the man-made loop at Craftsbury Outdoor Center. This could've gone better. After what i thought was a solid sprint, I found myself over 20 seconds out of first and in 91st position overall. Now, I've said time and again that I'm not a sprinter, but thats just ridiculous.

Comments

Popular Posts